Happy Valentine’s Day!
A perfect Valentine’s Day gift is the gift of raw cacao powder… It’s chocolate that is packed with health and longevity claims. Let’s be honest. We want to keep our lovers around for a long time!
The other morning one of my favorite people gave me some raw cacao powder for Valentine’s Day after spin class. Ironically, it was after I mentioned for people to not eat the chocolate they are given as Valentines and to “give it back” to the giver. Obviously I kept the cacao powder and am a chocolate lover.
There are some health benefits associated with consuming RAW CACAO, OR RAW CHOCOLATE (not to be confused with the roasted, processed cocoa). Also be aware that I’m talking about raw cacao – with out added sugar, milk, nuts, and all the other goodness we associate chocolate with.
So here are some claimed benefits of consuming raw chocolate:
- It may cause the brain to produce more of a neurotransmitter called anandamide which would account for the euphoric sensation some feel when indulging in chocolate.
- Raw cacao is very high in antioxidant flavanoids, sulfur and magnesium (2 minerals vital to maintaining healthy body function)
- The essential fatty acids found in chocolate may help the body to raise good cholesterol and lower bad cholesterol.
- There are claims in raw food culture is that raw cacao will reduce your risk of cancer as the high levels of antioxidants reduce the amount of free radicals in the body.
- Raw cacao is considered to be a good source of dietary fiber. One serving (2 tbsp) has 16 % of the recommended DV
I personally started throwing it into the vitamix with fruit and almond milk, or I mix it into my non-fat greek yogurt.
As for the other photographed chocolate, Vosges makes the best exotic candy bar ever! Sometimes you just need a little somethin’ somethin’. Each bar has complex flavor and appeals to the senses. Stout caramel, dark chocolate with pink salt and burnt caramel, ginger and wasabi with sesame seeds. These are also great V-Day gifts, I’m just saying…..in the immortal words of Rachel Zoe, “I die”
Check out their collection at http://www.vosgeschocolate.com